Thursday, April 14, 2005

Why some CDs are absent from iTunes, Rhapsody....

As many of you know, most of my CDs are available on iTunes, Rhapsody and a number of other digital music services. However, TWO of my CDs, Sweet Dreams & Starlight and Overcome aren't yet available on those services - and they won't be any time soon....

You may have noticed that and wondered why that is. The reason is licensing and copyright. On Sweet Dreams & Starlight I have a cover tune of "Happy Together" by The Turtles. On Overcome, there are three cover tunes, all praise songs.

Since I don't own the copyright to these songs (just my particular arrangements), I cannot legally distribute these CDs via the digital music services. It's crazy the way this works. As an independent artist, I cannot, for example, release my SD&S CD on iTunes and just exclude the one song,"Happy Together". It's ALL or nothing, so until I can get clearance for "Happy Together" and the praise songs, SD&S and Overcome remain undistributed to this new media.

The good news is, I just got an email from the Harry Fox Agency (yes, that's the company's real name) this morning which may open a way for me to get clearance on these songs more easily. I am still probably six months (or more) out from getting that, but it's a start. And I'm thrilled about that, as I am very anxious to get those two albums into the distribution channel.

So now you know, "the rest of the story." @8^)

Enjoy the sunshine,

David

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That licensing and copyrighting stuff's complicated. I hope it all works out for you.

Love your music

~*Allison*~ (remember me? you probably don't)

9:03 PM  
Blogger David Nevue said...

Hi Allison,

>~*Allison*~ (remember me? you probably don't)<

Allison who? Are you someone from my past? A fan I met at a show? You're comment leaves a bit of a mystery.

What's your last name and where did we meet?

David

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home