Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Avatar Experience - Is there more to Avatar than meets the eye?

I have an admission. After all the hype, I went and saw "Avatar" in 3D. I didn't really have a desire to see it, but the way everyone was going on and on about it, I decided to take an afternoon and see what all the fuss was about.

So off I went, and I have to say - it was the most stunning film I've ever seen. I haven't had a movie experience like that since I was a teenager. Something that so completely blew my mind, that so took me into another world.

But it wasn't too long after I left the movie that I became troubled by the experience. I was having these intense emotions - I was giddy. I felt like I had a serious "buzz" on, and that bothered me. After all, it was just a movie... so why was I behaving like - and this is the only way I know to describe it - like I just had my first kiss? I was "infatuated" with the film... at least, I was for a couple hours after seeing it.

After I came down from the Avatar "high" - and it did feel like a high - I sensed that I had been mentally manipulated. That seeing the movie somehow altered my mental state, though temporarily. Like I had been given a drug. And I thought to myself... did this movie somehow subliminally mess with my consciousness? It really seemed to effect my emotional state. Days later, I'm still feeling the effects. I desperately want to see the film again.... to experience it... and I want to bring others to see it with me. This is NOT something I normally feel - no matter how much I like a movie. It really bothers me.

Sounds crazy? I know, I know. But I've secretly wondered if underneath the "wonder" and the "beauty" that is Avatar, if there is something else going on. Maybe even something sinister.

I kept this all to myself, because it sounds insane. But then, tonight, I saw this...
http://bit.ly/6KCTLR

Hmmm...

With the dawn of this new age of 3D films, where the visuals are so real, lifelike, and wonderful, is it possible that somehow, deep in our subconscious, our minds are bypassing our surface knowledge that "this is just a movie" and beginning to respond to this visual stimulus as if it is, in fact, reality?

I mean, really, we don't understand all that much about the human mind. The brain is so incredibly complex, so amazing in it's capacity to process information. Perhaps we've tapped into something here... something that isn't altogether healthy. Physically, emotionally, spiritually.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but perhaps in our quest for entertainment, we have stumbled onto something that may be harmful to our minds, to our emotions, and to our Spirit.

In the name of entertainment, we may be unwittingly walking into something wholly different and not as innocent as it seems.

I hear you saying... "it's just a movie... lighten up." I hear you.

I'm just saying... be aware. Be watchful.

And think carefully about what you submit your mind and Spirit to.

David Nevue
Solo Pianist & Creator of Whisperings: Solo Piano Radio
http://www.davidnevue.com
http://www.davidnevue.com/listen.htm
http://www.solopianoradio.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I read that article a few days ago and found it deeply disturbing. It's not unlike what Tolkein did with Middle Earth and there are still legions of fans that can't "let it go" and spend their whole lives pretending they live there. They've now just taken the phenomenon to a whole new level.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Becky W. said...

I have not seen the movie and have not decided if I will. I appreciate your comments about it though. I think you mention many things that few are willing to admit or confess. I am in agreement that movies do have "agendas".... sometimes appealing to us intellectually, emotionally and/or spiritually... definitely promoting a "world view".
Thanks for being so honest about your thoughts and feelings about this movie.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It couldn't have been said better, you are very right. As a matter of fact, scientists have discovered that movies switch our brains from beta waves, to alpha waves. Alpha wave is a mental state in which our minds become literally "hypnotized" to whatever we are watching. That's people look so "focused" whenever they are watching television. This hypnotic state literally cripples our brain's ability to reason between good and bad. So if something on the tv is inappropriate, then our brains won't be able to tell the difference. It will slide right by the brains "filter," and into our subconscious mind. I agree with the comment Becky W. said: "few are willing to confess or admit that." Because its so true, people don't like to admit that, because they like movies so much. I couldn't agree with you more.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home