Monday, March 01, 2010

Seeking God's Will for Your Life...

Recently, I received an email from a young lady asking whether or not composing music was "God's will for her life." She was wondering because she was just starting to think about her college career, and she wanted to make sure she was following "God's will." She loved composing, thought she was good at it, but wanted to make sure she did what God wanted her to do when it came to her studies and her education.

I sent a response that turned out to be a real encouragement to her. So, I thought I would share that response here, for anyone else who might be seeking out God's will for their life. Perhaps my thoughts on this will be an encouragement to you in your own walk as well.


Here's was my reply...

"I firmly believe that if the Lord gifts us in a particular talent, AND if God puts the desire in our heart to use that gift, then that particular talent is something the Lord wants us to develop. To what extent is hard to say. God may gift someone in musical ability, but that doesn't necessarily mean that God desires that person to be a professional musician. It just may be that music is somehow important for developing that person in Christ.

So if composing is something you are gifted at, and it's something you earnestly want to pursue, then you should pursue it to God's glory. So long as you are walking with the Lord, praying daily, and abiding in God's Word, you don't really have to worry about what "God's will" is. You are already walking in it. You can just live your life in Christ, pursuing your Godly desires. God will direct your path along the way.

Often Christians stress too much about being in "God's Will" as if you can somehow miss it and then ruin your life or disappoint God because you're off track. Really, it's simple... just walk with Him. Stay in the Word. Pray. Fellowship with other believers. The rest comes naturally... and we need to rest in Him.

If we're doing the basic things with the Lord, we can be assured that we can't "go wrong." God has already set our path before us. We just need to walk with Him, and then trust Him to take care of the details. God doesn't need us to "understand" what he's doing in order to help us get there. He doesn't need us to "do our part" to make his Will come to fruition. God is the one who does the work.

So just rest in His grace and watch in wonder as your life unfolds.

David Nevue
http://www.davidnevue.com

8 Comments:

Blogger nannykim said...

Good advice....reminds me a little of the book by Brother Lawrence called Practicing the Presence of God. Although I don't necessarily agree with all he writes. But when we are walking in his presence, abiding in Him, we will be walking in His will as you have described.

I had to laugh at your finding my post on one of my blogs about listening to your music while making the pudding! ha! Just gotta say we love your music! I purchased your newest Cd on Amazon since I always by stuff there...my son scolded me and told me I should by directly from you....guess it is true that you would make more money if we buy from you directly, so sorry if this is true.

My son loved your concert (a year ago??? in the Seattle area). God bless you and your family as you richly minister to all of us out here listening to your music!!

6:58 AM  
Blogger nannykim said...

Wow-I meant buy not by!!

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good to be reminded- thank you

10:07 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you for this! It encourages me, as I step out in my calling as a musician for the Lord!

5:42 PM  
Blogger LCJ said...

David,
Yesterday I had a conversation with a friend that sounded a lot like this blog. It is beautiful that all Christ asks for is our hearts and there's no stress that we'll mess up his plans. Thank you for posting this on your blog and affirming what Jesus is teaching me right now.

Also, I just stumbled upon your music the other day on a Pandora station. It has aided me in drawing nearer to Jesus. Thank you for trusting your God-given desires and musical abilities. They really bless others.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Christine Bethanne Johnson said...

Wow, thank you. I just googled "life of a concert pianist" and came upon your blog. Very well said.

9:13 AM  
Blogger David Nevue said...

Thank you, Christine.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks David, This article reminds me for a lot of things.
Especially the first song I played during my concert. I still remember it was Fur Elise.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home