Thursday, December 24, 2020

This Christmas - Let's LIVE, not just WATCH.

Some thoughts... 

It has really struck me this last couple of weeks how my generation (I'd say with the advent of Color TV especially) was really the first to "watch" life as much or more than to actually "live" it. 

As the decades progressed, some in the 70's, then a LOT more in the 80's and 90's, our "shared happy memories" are TV shows, sports on TV, and movies...

I grew up with "talk around the watercooler" being about Dallas/Dynasty, Letterman, SNL, Star Wars, Michael Jordan and the Bulls, MTV, The X-Files, Twin Peaks, Beverly Hills 90210, Friends, The Real World, The Office, The O.J. Simpson trial, The LotR movies, Survivor and whatever is the "happening show right now" on Netflix...

Just some examples that come quickly to mind. 

We talk as much or less about "real life" since, as a culture here in the U.S. anyway, how we relate to each other is as much or more about the things we "watch" rather than what we are actively doing in our lives. Talking about what we "watch" is easier than sharing our hurts, or opening up to others, especially when, at this time in our culture, we are more than ever surrounded by mere acquaintances or complete strangers. 

Christmas, too, has become - to a large degree - about what we watch. Our "traditions" now include watching A Christmas Story, Home Alone, Elf... A Charlie Brown Christmas (love all of those!)

I think CHRISTMAS, especially during these difficult times, is a good time - maybe the best time - to try and BREAK OUT of that. 

To SHARE in life, love... to look at each other, into each others' eyes and hearts, to listen, to open up our arms. To TALK to each other about deeper things. 

I know these are extraordinarily difficult times. The time of year when hurts hurt more. Regrets compound. Even without COVID. 

We need something real, not just fantasy. Not just "the show."

Family... it's time to BE FAMILY! 

Family being more than watching things together. 

Being more than a shared escape from our worries and troubles. 

To READ TOGETHER the Word of God... the real Christmas story (Matthew 1-2, Luke 1-2), to discuss it, to talk about and share our joy in the HOPE we have in God, and the PEACE and GRACE that have been gifted to us through the birth of Jesus, the precious Son of God, our Lord.

I am writing this really, to preach to myself... the need for something real. I want to actually BE ALIVE this Christmas. To "live" something. Not just watch something. 

I write this next thing, knowing I may get flack, but... it's OK.

Tonight, for the first time since last March or so, I am taking my family to Church... to our Christmas Eve service. Yes, we'll be masked.... and socially distanced. But I am going there to WORSHIP my Lord and Savior. I am going for HIM and to honor HIM and to offer up my praise. I am setting aside my fear and concerns and my fleshly desire to "stay home and watch the livestream" and I am choosing to worship with other believers in person.  

I want to LIVE this Christmas. I don't want to just watch it. 

Again, I am just preaching to myself here, exhorting myself to make Christmas more than watching movies about Christmas.

Maybe, in here, you will find encouragement too. 

The easiest thing to do is to do nothing. To just watch. 

The Lamb of God is worthy of so much more. 

Worth my effort, worth all risk, worth all my energy. 

To be ALIVE in Christ. 

To experience family. 

That's what I want to really dwell in this Christmas. 

May the Prince of Peace greatly enrich and bless your Christmas and holiday season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home