Friday, May 13, 2005

Pennsylvania Tour - Day Two

Wow, what an incredible day!

I started out the morning by sleeping in - to 9:30 am! Of course, that's 6:30 am my time (PST) so I'm not sure that really qualifies as sleeping in. None the less, it felt good to at least be under the illusion that I was sleeping in .

Once I got up, I my checked e-mail and then headed to Applebee's to have lunch with pianist Jace Vek. I LOVE Jace's music - I'm a big fan of his, and what's cool is that he's a big fan of my music as well. We have a little "mutual admiration society" going! I had been really looking forward to meeting Jace face to face for the first time. Jace and I seem to have a special connection. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel like I've known him my whole life. We just seem to "get" each other. I rarely meet people I feel that way about.

His girlfriend Brooke joined us a bit later (after being accosted at the mall - long story!), and she really is a joy! She has a very bubbly personality that's quite contagious. Hang out with her for even a minute or two and you'll find yourself smiling.

Anyway, we had a great chat. Jace and I are working together on a collaborative project. I don't want to spill the beans yet, but let's just say that what we're working on is unlike anything I've done before. I can't wait to have a finished product to share with y'all! It will be awhile though, so hang in there.

On to York....
After lunch, Jace, Brooke and I drove about an hour south down to where we were both performing as part of the Whisperings concert at Asburry Church in York. I shared the "stage" with Craig Urquhart, Catherine Marie Charlton, Greg Maroney and of course, Jace. It was an AMAZING show, and I think one of the best Whisperings concerts yet. All I can say is WOW. I thought my performance paled in comparison to the others. I didn't play well tonight (at least, that's how I felt) and this was perhaps the most technically gifted group of artists I've played a show with. I did my best not to feel intimidated - in this business you can't let yourself be intimidated. Never let 'em see you sweat!

Speaking of sweating, I really BOTCHED "Big Snow in Salzburg." As far as I could tell, I make the only really big boo boo of the evening. On a positive note, I had some fans drive eight hours to the show from Ohio to see me play. Thanks, you two!

After the show, all the artists headed over to Greg's house, as most of us are staying the night there. Once there, we had a nice opportunity to hang out and get to know each other a bit.

Oh, one other thing; pianist Robin Spielberg came to the show! This was a great honor, as I'm a big fan of her piano music as well as everyone else who played tonight. You GOTTA get her Dreaming of Summer CD, which is one of my favorite piano CDs of all time - or even Memories of Utopia. Both are exquisite.

Overall, the show went very well. We had about 45 in the audience (excluding the artists), so it wasn't a bad turnout. We were hoping for more, but considering it's a small area, 45 is actually very reasonable.

MORE SHTUFF...
Things I've learned today....

1) On the east coast, it's not "pop," it's "soda." When you ask for a pop, people look at you weird. :)

2) As it turns out, my assessment yesterday was correct - you DON'T get free refills on drinks here in restaurants. Back home, we get free refills on drinks at pretty much every restaurant - except Wendy's. Wendy's is the lone holdout. (Stingy, but perhaps they are based in the East Coast!).

That's about all I can think of for the moment.

Tomorrow I'm on to Lancaster, PA for a concert at Grace Baptist Church. I fill you in tomorrow night if I'm able.

David

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are funny. "Pop" gets weird looks here in the west coast to. :) At least in California.

I love Jace Vek's music too, or the little I've heard of it from solopianoradio.com. When I hear a compelling piece I go back to see who is playing...more often than not it is Jace Vek (when it's David Nevue's I recognize it in a heartbeat :) ).

God bless.

3:09 PM  
Blogger David Nevue said...

Really? "Pop" is weird in California?

I'm up here in Oregon.

Maybe it's just us Oregonians! :)

David

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! I'm here blog-hopping your past entries, as I often do to people when I get a little bored...
I thought this was funny! Pop is so wierd... The thing is, in Tennessee, we don't really say pop or soda. We say drink. "Hey, I would like to order a large drink." "What kind of drink?" "Sprite." But it's not just Oregonians, don't worry. It's folk in Ohio also. You are not alone.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home